FACT: Over 80,000 vehicles travel Business 40 daily.
When Business 40 shuts down in downtown Winston-Salem for 18 months in mid-November, you will likely need to find another route into work or school.
**NOTE: Public info meetings …
Tuesday, Oct. 9 from 11 to 2pm at BB&T Ballpark
Oct 16 at the Milton Rhodes Center (4 – 7pm).
*NC DOT representatives will share info on what to expect. www.ncdot.gov
Larry Shaver, one of the lead project engineers with the NC DOT, shares more details about the extended closing of Business 40 through downtown Winston-Salem in mid-November. www.business40nc.com/Pages/about.aspx
Planning and conceptual design for the Business 40 project began in 2006. Between 2006 and 2016, extensive work was conducted to determine the “what, how and when.” The public was key in this effort, choosing a “two-year complete closure” rather than a six-year partial closure of Business 40.
After a comprehensive selection process, NCDOT, in September 2016, contracted with the design-build team of Flatiron Constructors, Inc./Blythe Development Company Joint Venture and HDR Engineering, Inc. to complete the final design and construct the project. Ground was broken for the project in Fall 2017.
The $99.2 million project will include:
- Replacing the existing roadway pavement
- Modernizing entrance and exit ramps
- Replacing nine vehicular bridges and two pedestrian bridges
- Lengthening the acceleration and deceleration lanes between ramps
- Widening existing roadway shoulders and adding new shoulders
- Building portions of a multi-use path from Lockland Avenue to Liberty Street
- Increasing the speed limit to 55 mph
- Renaming all of US 421/Business 40 “Salem Parkway”
VERSE: “Let everything that has breath praise the LORD” Psalm 150
QUOTE: “A person who loves his job, will never work a day in his life.”
MON-SAT 6A-10A(& Sunday@5 host)
Latest posts by Verne Hill (see all)
- Expiration date: Nothing lasts forever… - February 15, 2019
- TIPS: Keeping flowers ‘fresher, longer’… - February 15, 2019
- IRS: Brace yourself for a lower tax refund (if any) this filing season? - February 15, 2019