You want to make sure you stop when it’s required as penalties for not stopping for a school bus are harsh.
BOTH DIRECTIONS OF TRAFFIC MUST STOP FOR A STOPPED SCHOOL BUS:
1. On a two lane road;
2. On a two lane road with a center turn lane; and
3. On a four lane road without a median.
ONLY TRAFFIC FOLLOWING THE BUS STOPS:
1. Divided highway with 4 lanes or more with median separation; and
2. Roadway of four lanes or more with center turning lane.
To summarize, if you are on a two lane road and a bus puts on its blinking red lights and puts out the stop sign, STOP. It doesn’t matter what side of traffic you are on, you have to stop. If you are on a four lane road, and you are behind the bus, you have to stop regardless of whether there is a median or turn lane when the bus puts on the flashing lights and puts out its stop sign. However, you only stop on a four lane road in the opposite direction of the bus if there is no median or turn lane.
If you are more of a visual learner, these pictures with the rules may help you to remember. To learn more about school bus safety and rules, you can visit the North Carolina School Bus Safety Website.
VERSE: “Let everything that has breath praise the LORD” Psalm 150
QUOTE: “A person who loves his job, will never work a day in his life.”
MON-SAT 6A-10A(& Sunday@5 host)
Latest posts by Verne Hill (see all)
- Ingredients to make ‘snow cream’ - January 14, 2022
- Pregnancy Care Centers -Supporting Life in our Communities - January 14, 2022
- Friday News, January 14, 2022 - January 14, 2022