Local congregation recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning. Learn more… (News from Thursday)

Local congregation recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning.  Learn more…  (News from Thursday)

Sneak Peak to the Weekend: Sunny and warmer

More than a dozen people are recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning last night at Oak Grove Moravian Church in Winston-Salem.  None of the cases were life-threatening. Firefighters finding that a leaking furnace was the source of the carbon monoxide.  Another reason of why carbon monoxide detectors are so important. http://triad.news14.com/content/top_stories/674949/more-than-a-dozen-treated-for-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-at-winston-salem-church                      Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death.  Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning, more than 20,000 visit the emergency roomwww.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm

Local Volunteers living right here in the Triad are needed for a nationwide cancer study. The study, facilitated by the American Cancer Society, will look for potential links between cancer and everyday environmental and lifestyle factors. Needed: Men and women living in Forsyth, Guilford and Randolph counties between the ages of 30 and 65 who have never been diagnosed with cancer. In Forsyth County: An information session will be held THIS MORNING from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the headquarters of Truliant Federal Credit Union in Winston-Salem. Actual sign ups for the study will happen in February.  Some physical measurements and a small blood sample must be given. Later, they will be sent a more comprehensive survey to complete at home and then contacted every two or three years with follow-up questions. For more information: contact Amanda Wyckoff at (336) 834-3354 or email to Amanda.Wyckoff@cancer.org.

The Davidson County Health Department will hold a Flu Vaccine Clinic this Friday afternoon from 1pm until 4:30pm at the Health Department on Greensboro Street in Lexington.  Details? Call 242-2354 for more info.  Positive flu tests in the state have quadrupled since early November.  www.flu.nc.gov     HeaIth officials saying that if you get sick, please stay home and get better. Hand washing is the single most effective way to prevent the spread of germs and infections.  www.cdc.gov/features/handwashing/ 

The High School Handbell choir from Salem Baptist Christian School will be performing during lunchtime on Thursday at Brenner Children’s Hospital in Winston-Salem. The handbell choir will be playing Christmas carols next to the cafeteria at Brenner. Thanks to Mr. Brian Weer (Music Department) at Salem Baptist Christian School.

Please NO outdoor burning:  The N.C. Forestry Service is asking us to avoid burning yard waste and other debris until there’s some significant rainfall. BTW: Debris burning is the #1 cause of wildfires in the state.  There were more than 600 wildfires across North Carolina in November.

Share this Article

About Verne Hill

The News Guy - WBFJ Family Friendly Morning Show

I enjoy many things: Music. Family movie nights. My American flag flapping in the wind. Sunsets at the beach. Snow days. The Sweet Tea Party. Salvation through Grace...

VERSE: "Let everything that has breath praise the LORD" Psalm 150

QUOTE: “A person who loves his job, will never work a day in his life.”

verne@wbfj.fm

Browse Archived Articles by